The Kays LDS Ward was established in September 1851 with Kay as bishop and Phillips
and Green as his counselors. The boundaries of the ward went from Farmington
on the south to the Weber County line on the north. Few people lived
outside of the immediate area around the city center of present-day
As part of its
missionary movement, the Presbyterian Church established a church and
school in Kaysville in 1881. The church continued until 1917, although
the school closed in 1909. The Presbyterian chapel is still standing,
the only example of an early Protestant church remaining in Utah.
With the formation
of fort districts in 1854, many settlers living in outlying areas moved
into the area's fort, thereby establishing the business and residential
districts of Kaysville. Although the businesses have changed over the
years, Kaysville still has an attractive city center.