History of Kennecott Corporation, Utah
Taken from the Utah History Encyclopedia (Links Added)

Construction of the Bingham and Garfield Railroad commenced in 1907 to transport ores from Bingham to the Magna and Arthur mills at the northern base of the Oquirrh Mountains. Utah Copper's Magna mill, a 6,000-tpd operation, started in 1907, while Boston Consolidated's 3,000-tpd Arthur mill opened in 1909. In 1910 Boston Consolidated merged into Utah Copper Company.

Beginning at the turn of the century, a large influx of immigrants from southern and eastern Europe and from Japan arrived in Utah to provide needed labor for the mining industry. In 1912 the Western Federation of Miners sought union recognition and, supported by a large contingent of immigrant laborers, struck Utah Copper Company. The strike did not win union recognition but did oust Leonidas Skliris, the dominant Greek labor agent, from power.

In 1915 Kennecott Copper Corporation acquired twenty-five percent interest in Utah Copper Company. Also in 1915, ASARCO and Utah Copper jointly constructed the first acid treatment plant to control sulfur dioxide emissions at the Garfield smelter. During the years 1918 to 1922, froth flotation gradually replaced gravity separation at the Magna and Arthur mills. Electric-shovel operations began at Bingham in 1923, and by 1928 mining operations became increasingly electrical with the introduction of electric locomotive trains.

Page 2
Comments & Questions to

Home | Area Codes | Cities | Climate | Credits | Counties | Dinosaurs | Disclaimer | Dining |

Education | Entertainment | Government | Health | History | Hot Springs | Industry | Lakes | Lodging |

Maps | Media | Mountains | Museums | Parks | People | Photo Gallery | Quick Facts |

Quizzes | Recreation & Sports | Religion | Rivers | Sites | Travel | Weather |