OnlineUtah.com Logo
History of Kennecott Corporation, Utah
Taken from the Utah History Encyclopedia (Links Added)
-3-

As the worldwide Great Depression hit in 1929, Utah Copper constructed a precipitate plant at the mouth of Bingham Canyon. In 1936 Kennecott acquired all the property and assets of the Utah Copper Company. That same year molybdenum (a metal used to strengthen steel) separation facilities were established at the Magna and Arthur mills. Construction of the central yard for expansion of rail operations began in 1937. Union recognition came in 1938 as Kennecott viewed unions as official employee bargaining representatives.

Wartime copper production pushed Kennecott into the national spotlight. In fact, the Bingham Canyon mine established new world records for copper mining and produced about 30 percent of the copper used by the Allies during World War II. During the war years many women worked in the mine, mills, and smelter. In 1944 the construction of its own power plant rendered Kennecott independent of outside sources for electrical power. That year also produced the first collective bargaining agreement of wages and working conditions. Construction of the first mine rail haulage tunnel began in 1946. The main rail line was completed in 1948 and replaced the Bingham and Garfield line. This new line had a central traffic-control system to provide safer and faster movement of longer trains. Electric locomotives replaced steam locomotives for ore haulage to the mills in 1948.


Page 3
Google
 
Web onlineutah.com
Comments & Questions to OnlineUtah.com

Home | Area Codes | Cities | Climate | Credits | Counties | Dinosaurs | Disclaimer | Dining |

Education | Entertainment | Government | Health | History | Hot Springs | Industry | Lakes | Lodging |

Maps | Media | Mountains | Museums | Parks | People | Photo Gallery | Quick Facts |

Quizzes | Recreation & Sports | Religion | Rivers | Sites | Travel | Weather |




Mark Robinson Realty Brokers