baptized their children in the warm waters at this point of the river.
Sheep men dammed off the lower end of the springs for a dipping vat
before the days of sheep-dip. The mineral water appeared to be good
for the scabies. Washington County built a wooden bridge across the
river below the springs, but floods washed it away. A second bridge
was also destroyed. In 1916 the county replaced the wooden bridge with
a steel one, and later a high arched span was built a short distance
Today the springs
have been developed into an attractive "spa" with seven comfortable
little pools in the grotto area. A swimming pool, dressing rooms, and
restrooms are provided and there is a bed and breakfast facility for
families on vacation.
For many years
La Verkin town was a part of Toquerville precinct. It later came under
county jurisdiction with its own justice of the peace and constable.
In November 1927 residents and voters petitioned the Washington County
Commission to constitute the town as a corporate body--an action that
was granted that same year.