Rapid growth did not materialize, however; Lewiston's population had actually declined by the 1910 census. Still, until the 1980s Lewiston was always one of the larger towns in Cache Valley. Starting from a population of 525 in 1880, Lewiston grew gradually until 1910. Another period of growth peaked in 1950. A second period of decline was reversed by 1980 and the population has increased modestly since that time. It was listed at 1,532 in the 1990 census.
Lewiston has always been and continues to be a predominately LDS community. The ward created in 1877 was later divided into new wards in the outlying areas--the second ward was organized in 1907 and a third in 1909. A fourth ward was created in 1953 by dividing the old first ward; the second and third wards were consolidated in 1971.
See: John Milton Bernhisel, History of Lewiston (ca. 1951).
Steven R. Wood