was established in 1850 as an outgrowth of Pleasant
Grove, located one mile north. The settlement had an early name
of Stringtown because the houses were built along a single road-today's
US-89. An old linden tree (Tilia) growing in the town in 1901 was the
inspection for the present name. Note the difference in the spelling
of the tree name. It has never been corrected.
W. Van Cott.