Brigham Young's death, the Young family maintained the homes for several
years and then sold them to the LDS Church. While the Beehive House
became the official residence for LDS Church presidents, the Lion House
became a home economics center for the Latter-day Saint University,
which was located on the same block. When the university closed in 1931,
both homes were acquired by the Young Women's Mutual Improvement Association.
The Beehive House was used as a dormitory, while the Lion House became
a social center for young women of the church. In the Lion House the
Young Women's Mutual Improvement Association held classes in such subjects
as art and needlework, listened to lecturers including John A. Widtsoe and Joseph Fielding Smith, and rented the rooms for wedding receptions.
church direction both buildings were restored - the Beehive House in
1960 and the Lion House in 1968. The Beehive House is now a historic
site open for public tours, while the Lion House remains a social center
for wedding receptions, group meetings, and birthday parties. Its lower
floor, called the "Pantry," operates as a cafeteria.
Helen Thackeray, Lion House Recipes (1980); and S. Dilworth Young, The
Beehive House (1960).