The town developed quickly. The town meeting house, completed in 1880, served as a school and social hall; a separate rock schoolhouse constructed in 1902. The first telephone line was completed in 1907. The local LDS stake tabernacle was completed and dedicated on 24 October 1909, and a public library was completed in 1919. The People's Power and Light Company was formed in 1929 and brought lights and electric power to the entire county. A thriving movie theater was completed in 1938 and continued operation until a rival theater opened in Bicknell in 1947.
The Loa Co-op Store began in 1902 to serve the growing agriculturally based community. Other businesses soon followed. The State Bank of Wayne, established in 1920 and a survivor of the Great Depression, constructed its present building in 1939. In 1947 the first cold storage plant was opened. The city constructed three parks and pavilions as well as a town office, fire house, and community center, and it took over maintenance of the city cemetery from the LDS Church in 1985. Curb and gutter improvements were added to Main Street in 1987 and the streets were paved at that time. Loa's population has fluctuated between a high of 499 in 1920 and a low of 324 in 1970. The 1990 census listed 444 residents of Loa.
Kenneth R. Williams