History of Logan Tabernacle Organ, Utah
Taken from a flyer distributed at the Logan Tabernacle
The Pipe organ at the Logan tabernacle was originally constructed by the St. Louis firm of Henry Pilcher's Sons. It was delivered to Cache Valley in early 1908 and was dedicated on August 5, 1908. The organ was installed and voiced in the tabernacle under the direction of James Day of the Pilcher company. The organ's action (method of tranfering key movement at the console [where the organist sits] to the pipes) was originally tubular-pneumatic. This type of action necessitated the use of small lead tubes about 1/4" in diameter that ran from each key to the valves in the chest under the pipes.
In the early 1950's the organ was rebuilt by technicians from the LDS Church Organ Maintenance Department. This work, completed in 1953, coincided with other renovations to the building. At this time the original console was replaced as were a few sets of pipes. Furthermore, the quarter-sawn oak paneling under the façade pipes was refinished to the present color (it was originally a dark walnut shade). Most significantly, perhaps, was the replacement of the organ's action; the lead tubes were replaced with modern electical equipment. The action is now referred to as being 'electro-pneumatic.'
The most recent work on the organ was completed after a decision, in late 1982, that the organ was in need of repair. Accordingly, in 1983, H. Ronald Poll and associates of Salt Lake City was engaged to again rebuild and update the organ. During a four-year period of work the sonsole was upgraded, many new pipes were added, some old pipes revoiced, the façade pipes were gilded with gold leaf and the electrical system was also replaced with solid-state technology. The organ is presently in excellent condition and is carefully maintained on a regular basis.
* The Organ has 2,531 pipes that 'speak' (i.e. sound). There are 194 gold-leafed façade pipes, of these 38 speak; they are located on the south side and are stenciled in red. The rest do not play.
* There are two divisions of the organ that are enclosed in large wooden boxes with louvers on one side (this makes variations of volume and timbre possible). Almost all of the pipes in the north chamber are enclosed. Some of the largest pedal pipes are placed against the far sides of each chamber.
* The organ's smallest pipe is only 3/4" long and the largest pipe is over 16 feet tall; it is made of solid pine almost an inch thick.
* Most of the organ's pipes are made from carefully formulated alloys of tin and lead. Others are made of zinc with some components made of brass. Certain larger pipes are made of wood, mainly poplar and pine.
* There is a powerful 7 horsepower turbine blower in the basement which provides the necessary volume of air to fill the windchests. The wind pressure in the chests is regulated at precisely 3½ and 41/4 inches.