History of Logan Temple, Utah
Taken from the LDS Logan Temple Brochure (Links Added)

The Logan Temple stands as a shining sentinel over Northern Utah's Cache Valley. This Valley was known by the Native American population as a special place.The small hill, just one block northeast of Tabernacle Square, was known to them as "a most sacred place," where healing ceremonies took place. Located on this hill, the Temple can now be seen from almost every part of the valley. It is a spiritual symbol, and while it can only be entered by faithful members of the Church of ]esus Christ of Latter-day Saints, it has long been a landmark for those entering the valley.

Part of the reason for the extended period of construction for the Tabernacle was the commencement and completion of the Temple. The same year (1873) that Brigham Young gave renewed impetus to the construction of the Tabernacle, he also suggested the building of the Temple. However, it was not until 1876 that the L.D.S. Church made an official announcement of such a plan, and on May 17, l877 the Temple site was chosen by President Young. For the next seven years the primary focus of church construction in the Valley was the Temple.

During the summer of 1877 a sawmill was established in Logan Canyon known as Temple Fork, along with a lime kiln at the mouth of the canyon.The quarries in Green Canyon and Franklin, along with another one near Hyde Park, were developed. Much of the labor was volunteer. An interesting side note is that a number of Shoshonis had joined the Mormon Church, and they united with the labor force for the Temple construction from their encampment near Green Canyon. Other members of the Church supplied Food and clothing to the Indian members, in return for their labors.

On May 17, 1884 the Temple was dedicated by John Taylor, who had succeeded Brigham Young as the president of the Church. The temple is 171 feet long and 95 feet wide, not including the annex. The east tower is 170 feet high, with the west tower five feet lower. At the time of the dedication the temple was painted white, and at one time the grounds had a white picket fence.

Since its dedication, this building has been open to members of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints for performing sacred ordinances, such as baptisms, marriages for time and eternity, and other ordinances. L.D.S. members believe that family members may be together forever, in life after death. The sacred ordinances are also performed for deceased ancestors which are found by utilizing the services of the Family History centers of the Church.

An extensive renovation of the Temple commenced in the late 1970's. Just prior to the rededication in Arpil of 1979, many thousands of people who were not members of the Chruch had the opportunity to tour the Temple, before it was again closed to the public.

Google
 
Web onlineutah.com
Comments & Questions to OnlineUtah.com

Home | Area Codes | Cities | Climate | Credits | Counties | Dinosaurs | Disclaimer | Dining |

Education | Entertainment | Government | Health | History | Hot Springs | Industry | Lakes | Lodging |

Maps | Media | Mountains | Museums | Parks | People | Photo Gallery | Quick Facts |

Quizzes | Recreation & Sports | Religion | Rivers | Sites | Travel | Weather |




Mark Robinson Realty Brokers