History of Magna, Utah
Taken From the Utah Place Names (Links Added)

MAGNA

Magna is twenty-two miles west of Salt lake City. The area was initially established in 1906 as a farming community, but this suddenly changed when the Utah Copper Concentrate Mill was erected. Prospectors, drifters and miners moved in and set up tents and shanties, or lived in dugouts. At this time, the community was known as Ragtown. When the company erected three hundred Cottages, a new town name was needed and it was called Pleasant Green for a short time. Since this Name was so common in Utah, the name was changed to Magna. One report states that Magna was the name of a nearby mine. Another source reports that D. C. Jackling's use of the Latin term "magna" came from a phrase used by the Masonic Order, "Magna est veritas, et praevalibit"-"Truth is might and will prevail."

John W. Van Cott

See some Pictures!
Google
 
Web onlineutah.com
Comments & Questions to OnlineUtah.com

Home | Area Codes | Cities | Climate | Credits | Counties | Dinosaurs | Disclaimer | Dining |

Education | Entertainment | Government | Health | History | Hot Springs | Industry | Lakes | Lodging |

Maps | Media | Mountains | Museums | Parks | People | Photo Gallery | Quick Facts |

Quizzes | Recreation & Sports | Religion | Rivers | Sites | Travel | Weather |




Mark Robinson Realty Brokers