Three forts were
constructed at Manti. The Little Stone Fort occupied the northwest quarter
of block 64. The Log Fort was added to it on block 77, the block on
which the Sanpete County Courthouse now stands. The Big Fort enclosed
nine square blocks, which included the Little Stone Fort. It was erected
in 1854. The center block of this fort was number 56.
The pioneer agricultural
society at Manti lived within the town's limits and traveled afoot,
by wagon, or on horseback to their outlying farmlands. This pattern
persists, but in 1992 farmers ride to their lands by pickup trucks.
Although no longer a tactic of defense, the practice of not living on
farmlands continues, partly as a matter of habit and partly for social
and religious (church) reasons.