settlers were of British stock, mostly Americans from New England and
the Ohio Valley. Some arrived directly from Great Britain. In ensuing
years emigrants arrived from Switzerland, Norway, and Sweden.
The first public
transportation system into Manti was the Sanpete Valley Railway in 1880,
from Nephi. This was a narrow-gauge rail line, which became standard
gauge in 1896. The Denver and Rio Grande Western completed its line
to Manti from Thistle Junction in 1890, and extended its operations
beyond Manti the following year. The D&RG purchased the Sanpete Valley
Railway in 1910, and immediately abolished its section between Ephraim and Manti.
The last passenger
train left Manti for Salt Lake City in 1949. The entire rail connection
to and beyond Manti was abandoned with the dramatic floods of 1983 and
1984, which washed out Thistle Junction completely.