OnlineUtah.com Logo
History of Mapleton, Utah
Taken from the Utah History Encyclopedia (Links Added)
-3-

John S. Fullmer and Cyrus Sanford were the first two to establish farming operations on the bench after the removal of the Indians. The Blackhawk War was in progress, but a few hardy souls did venture out to build homes in the area. Charles E. Malmstrom, a Swedish immigrant with an Australian wife, built a home at what is now west Maple Street, about 250 rods west of the present Mapleton City Building, and moved in 1 December 1873. By 1877 there were at least eighteen families established with homes on the Union Field land.

With the coming of permanent residents, a school was needed. By 1884 an acre of land had been donated by Lewis R. Perry at the southwest corner of his farm, and a twelve-by-fifteen-foot building was erected. The new schoolhouse soon became the focal point of the community. It was not only a place for children to be educated, it became the Mormon branch meetinghouse for the local farm families. Three years later, it housed the first Mormon ward on the bench. At that time, and probably because of land-claim problems, L.J. Whitney suggested that the new ward be named Mapleton after a small grove of black maple trees found at the mouth of Maple Canyon.


Page 3
Google
 
Web onlineutah.com
Comments & Questions to OnlineUtah.com

Home | Area Codes | Cities | Climate | Credits | Counties | Dinosaurs | Disclaimer | Dining |

Education | Entertainment | Government | Health | History | Hot Springs | Industry | Lakes | Lodging |

Maps | Media | Mountains | Museums | Parks | People | Photo Gallery | Quick Facts |

Quizzes | Recreation & Sports | Religion | Rivers | Sites | Travel | Weather |




Mark Robinson Realty Brokers