History of the Salt Lake City, Utah Masonic Temple.
Taken from the Salt Lake Mesonic Website. (Links Added)
SALT LAKE MASONIC TEMPLE
The Salt Lake City Masonic Temple has been the most publically visible jewel of Freemasonry in Utah for the last 83 years.
Located along South Temple, the egyptian faced building is the seventh home of Freemasonry in Salt Lake City, and is the current seat for the Most Worshipful Grand Lodge of Free and Accepted Masons of Utah, the Ancient & Accepted Scottish Rite Orient of Utah, Grand York Rite Bodies for Utah, El Kalah Shrine, Grand Bodies for all the Masonic youth groups, and six Masonic Lodges.
Completed in 1927 and Dedicated to Worshipful Brother George Washington, the building consists of several lounges, Great and Lesser Halls, a Banquet Room, Auditorium, four Lodge rooms, and administrative offices. Each room is adorned uniquely bringing to Salt Lake City artistic and architectural influences from Renaissance Italy, Colonial Virginia, Egyptian Temples, 14th Century English Courts, and Moorish Spain.
The plans for the Temple began in the fall of 1920 when a small group of Salt Lake Freemasons met to discuss the feasibility of erecting a new Masonic Temple in the city. Their previous temple built in 1905 on the corner of Second East and First South Streets had been in constant use and the capacity of the building to handle the increasing membership and attendant usage was called into question. By 1925 the land had been purchased, and the details of interior furnishings were in the process of finalization.
Re-dedicated in a public ceremony during the 2002 Olympics, free public tours of the Temple are available by prior arrangement, please contact 801-363-2936 between 9am and 4pm.