On 29 October
1863 county surveyor James Martineau drew up a plot of Mendon City,
laid out into nine square blocks with a central square. Each block was
divided into eight lots, each ten rods wide and twenty rods long, with
six-rod-wide streets. In the spring the log houses were moved to the
outer lots and orchards were planted. George Thurston and Kelsey Bird
built a grist mill on Gardner's Creek. Construction was started on rock
homes and on a 28-by-45-foot native rock church, designed by George
In 1869 commerce
was stimulated by the establishment of a federal land office in Utah
and the joining of the transcontinental railroad thirty-one miles west
of Mendon. A ZCMI branch was organized in Mendon with Willie as general manager; and Albert
Baker built a hotel with local rock. Henry Hughes began a long tenure
as local bishop. On 12 February 1870 the Legislative Assembly passed
an act incorporating Mendon City; the effective date was 1 April 1870.
George Baker was elected first mayor.
Railroad started construction in 1871 on a roadbed over Collinston Hill
into Mendon; the depot was on the town square. The town's population
was 427. In 1873 the rock Mendon co-op building was erected. Apostle Erastus Snow organized a twenty-member united order in Mendon; however,
it lasted only a year. After 1889 Hyrum Richards operated the store.
John Anderson opened another store in 1901.