Due to a rather consistent flow of water in Snake Creek Canyon, hydroelectric power was developed and brought to Midway by 1910. Heber Light and Power Company built their plant in the canyon in the late 1940s. The Midway Water Works Company was organized in 1895, bringing culinary water to the community that year; telephone lines and telephones were introduced two years later. A major U.S. Supreme Court decision was handed down in 1923 affecting not only local residents but also western irrigation companies as well. The twelve-year legal battle was between the Midway Irrigation Company (organized in 1887 and incorporated the following year) and Park City mining interests over who owned Snake Creek water. The 1923 landmark decision ruled that the mining companies and their associates could not keep, develop, or sell the creek water, but rather could only temporarily divert it.
Midway was incorporated 1 June 1891 with Alvah J. Alexander elected as president; board members were also elected. The town was a proclaimed third-class city in 1971. The mayor-and-council system was then initiated, with Wilburn F. Huffaker being the first city mayor.