Area: 603 square
miles; population: 5,528 (in 1990); county seat: Morgan City; origin
of county name: after LDS leader Jedediah Morgan Grant; principal cities/towns:
Morgan City (2,023); economy: livestock, manufacturing; points of interest: Lost Creek State Park, East Canyon State Park, Mountain Green trappers'
Located in a
high valley of the Wasatch Mountains, Morgan County is divided by the Weber River. The many streams that feed into the Weber made the valley
attractive to fur trappers in the 1820s and to prehistoric Plains Indians
and historic Shoshone and Ute Indians. In 1825, near present Mountain
Green, trappers of the British Hudson's Bay Company under Peter Skene
Ogden came dangerously close to fighting competing American trappers,
but Ogden kept the situation from becoming a major international incident.
The county was
created in 1862. During the Utah War (1857-58) settlers in the town
of Milton supplied feed for the horses of Mormon troops stationed in
canyon passes watching for Johnston's Army. Lot Smith of Stoddard blocked Echo Canyon, burned U.S. Army supply trains, and stampeded government
horses and cattle. Despite such incidents, the "war" was settled peacefully.