was settled in about the year 1861 and was originally called Mount Joy.
Some of its first settlers were John Heath, Wyman Parker, Daniel Williams,
and William George. The first settlers of South Morgan arrived in 1860
and were Richard Fry, Richard Norwood, and Daniel Bull.
In 1868-69 when
the transcontinental railroad was being constructed it was a definite
advantage for the residents of Morgan to be located along the main route.
At that time Morgan City was credited with being the only incorporated
city on the railroad line between Omaha and Ogden. The railroad not
only provided jobs to area residents but also changed the entire economic
history of the area. Residents were able to obtain more of the necessities
and comforts of life, while the railroad also opened up markets for
the goods produced locally.