flour mills were built, irrigation systems were dug, and a municipal
government was created to oversee public laws and improvements. The
city was incorporated in 1868, a year after the first co-operative store
was founded, starting what became a burgeoning commercial district.
Upon the arrival of the Rio Grande Western Railroad in 1890, both the
local population and the city's prosperity increased dramatically. By
1900 Mt. Pleasant had grown to nearly 3,000 persons, the largest size
reached by any city in Sanpete County to that time, and the city had
earned one of its nicknames, "Hub City."
The town's newfound
wealth became immediately apparent in a building boom which saw the
replacement of small, wood-frame commercial buildings with much more
impressive, architect-designed stone and brick structures such as the
1888 Sanpete County Co-op, the Gentile store which competed with the
ZCMI, or Mormon, store. The resulting Main Street district is today
so architecturally distinctive that the two-block-long area has been
listed on the National Register of Historic Places. Equally striking
were the Victorian churches, schools, and residences which replaced
the simpler adobe and log buildings of the pioneer period.