Mount Carmel is in Long Valley, south af Glendale on the East Fork of the Virgin River. The community was first settled
in 1864 by Dr. Priddy Meeks and his family. It had an early name of
Winsor (Windsor) for Anson P. Winsor, the Mormon
church official who had jurisdiction over this area. The Valley
was soon vacated because of Indian problems,
but was resettled in 1871 under the name of Mount Carmel, a mountain
in northwest Israel.
John W. Van Cott