originally known as South Cottonwood, lies eight miles south of Salt
Lake City between Big and Little Cottonwood Creeks. It is named
governor from 1880 to 1886. Although first settled in 1849, Murray
was not incorporated until 1902. Its central valley location and plentiful
water have allowed Murray to evolve from an agricultural to industrial
to suburban community.
Murray was settled
as part of the initial expansion south of Salt Lake City. Early residents
in the area divided the grasslands south of Salt Lake into homesteads
or parcels where they raised cattle and cereal grains. Most of the cattle
provided dairy products, while wheat, corn, and some rye were grown
to feed the family and animals.
of the Woodhill Brothers' smelter in 1869 initiated Murray's industrial
history. Murray produced the first silver bars smelted in Utah in 1870.
The smelters continued to dominate the local economy until the close
of the ASARCO lead smelter in 1950. Business and commercial enterprise
prospered along with the smelter industry. Murray was praised as a shining
example of cooperation between business, industry, and government early
in the twentieth century; it was hailed for its own water plant, lighting
system, smelter, canning factory, flour mills, and brickyards.