History of Mutual, Utah
Taken from the Utah Place Names. (Links Added)

MUTUAL

Mutual (Carbon) is seven miles up Spring Canyon near Rains. The Mutual Coal Company, which mined the coal and built the town, provided the name. The town opened in 1921 and died out in 1938 after the mine was shup down. The community was known earlier as Oak Springs Bench, for the scrub oak (Quercus) growing in the area. Jack Dempsey, the well known boxer (now deceased), lived there and the town adopted the name Dempseyville for a short period of time.

John W. Van Cott

Google
 
Web onlineutah.com
Comments & Questions to OnlineUtah.com

Home | Area Codes | Cities | Climate | Credits | Counties | Dinosaurs | Disclaimer | Dining |

Education | Entertainment | Government | Health | History | Hot Springs | Industry | Lakes | Lodging |

Maps | Media | Mountains | Museums | Parks | People | Photo Gallery | Quick Facts |

Quizzes | Recreation & Sports | Religion | Rivers | Sites | Travel | Weather |




Mark Robinson Realty Brokers