History of Newhouse, Utah
Taken from the Utah Place Names. (Links Added)

NEWHOUSE

Newhouse (Beaver) was built on the western slopes of the San Francisco Range. Samuel Newhouse built the town in 1905 to house the miners who were working in his nearby Cactus mine. By Newhouse's orders, the town had no red-light district, saloons, or gambling; schools and parks were built instead. In five years the mine began to decline and the region became a center for sheep men and cattlemen, who built large sheep-shearing pens. When the last cafe burned down in 1921 it was not rebuilt. For a period of time Newhouse was a center for moving picture filming. The movie Covered Wagon was filmed at this site. Today it is a ghost town site.

John W. Van Cott

Google
 
Web onlineutah.com
Comments & Questions to OnlineUtah.com

Home | Area Codes | Cities | Climate | Credits | Counties | Dinosaurs | Disclaimer | Dining |

Education | Entertainment | Government | Health | History | Hot Springs | Industry | Lakes | Lodging |

Maps | Media | Mountains | Museums | Parks | People | Photo Gallery | Quick Facts |

Quizzes | Recreation & Sports | Religion | Rivers | Sites | Travel | Weather |




Mark Robinson Realty Brokers