Animals of all
kinds were raised in the area. A family named Schmidt raised pigs; Samuel
S. Howard raised cows and in about 1879 began his own dairy, known as
"Bountiful Dairy." Holbrook Dairy was later established near the Salt
Lake County line and continued until the late 1950s. Products from Bountiful and North Salt Lake dairies were taken into Salt Lake City for sale.
ran a store out of her home, and William Luker created a "Halfway House,"
a store-restaurant combination where travelers could refresh themselves.
The trail along the edge of the hills and above the hot springs turned
into a well-traveled road and later became U.S. Highway 89/91.
In 1895 Leary
and Warren established a business called Salt Lake Union Stockyards
which made cattle important to North Salt Lake. The stockyards were
located near the railroad tracks. There was pastureland available and
the convenience of the railroad for shipping. Cattle were shipped into
the area and either shipped out again or slaughtered for market at one
of the area slaughterhouses.