In 1916 Cudahy
Meat Packing Company bought the Intermountain Ice Packing building on
Center Street just below the railroad tracks. It became such a successful
meat-packing plant that the street which is now Center Street was called
Cudahy Lane. Cattle were shipped in and processed meats were shipped
out to destinations all over the world. The plant was closed in 1972.
In 1930 most
local residences and businesses were located below Highway 89/91. About
sixty-five homes were on the hillside above. The main source of water
was the natural springs that flowed out of the hillside. The area below
the highway received water from the privately owned McDuff and McNeil
springs located on the hills south on the Salt Lake-Davis County border.
In 1946 a developer
purchased land on the hillside to build homes. In order to obtain water
for his homes he made a purchase agreement with the owners of the McDuff
and McNeil springs. This concerned the landowners below the highway
since they were not allowed any additional water from the springs. Because
of this concern, some of the citizens formed a committee to draw up
a petition to form a town in order that control of the water system
could be instigated.