History of Ophir, Utah
Taken from the Utah Place Names. (Links Added)

OPHIR

Ophir (Tooele) is four miles up Ophir Canyon south southeast of Stockton. General Connor's men discovered ore there in the 1880s in what was known at that time as East Canyon. The men named the settlement St. Lewis. A prospector named the adjacent mine Ophir because it was very rich in gold and silver. The name "Ophir," a word of biblical origin, was soon adopted by the town. The town peaked about 1880 and today is a stable community of about fifty people.

John W. Van Cott

Google
 
Web onlineutah.com
Comments & Questions to OnlineUtah.com

Home | Area Codes | Cities | Climate | Credits | Counties | Dinosaurs | Disclaimer | Dining |

Education | Entertainment | Government | Health | History | Hot Springs | Industry | Lakes | Lodging |

Maps | Media | Mountains | Museums | Parks | People | Photo Gallery | Quick Facts |

Quizzes | Recreation & Sports | Religion | Rivers | Sites | Travel | Weather |




Mark Robinson Realty Brokers