Paiutes filed for the land that they had lost to the Anglo settlers
with the Indian Claims Commission in 1951 and were awarded 27 cents
per acre in 1965. Distribution of the award money began in 1971. In
1972 the Utah Paiute Tribal Corporation was incorporated and 113 HUD
housing units were built at Richfield, Joseph, Shivwits, and the Cedar
City area between 1976 and 1989.
toward restoration of federal status began in 1973 when petitions were
circulated among the bands calling for the federal government to again
recognize the Paiutes. This became a reality on 3 April 1980 when President
Carter signed legislation that restored federal recognition and called
for the Secretary of the Interior to present legislation for a Paiute
reservation to Congress by 3 April 1982. On 17 February 1984 the Paiutes
received 4,470 acres of poor BLM land scattered throughout southwestern
Utah and a $2.5 million fund from which they could draw interest for
economic development and tribal services. In recent years they have
built new houses, operated two sewing factories, and dramatically improved
their health care and educational opportunities.
Pamela Bunte and Robert Franklin, From the Sands to the Mountain: Change
and Persistence in a Southern Paiute Community (1987); Isabel Kelly
and Catherine Fowler, Handbook of North American Indians, vol. 11 (1986);
Martha Knack, Life Is With People: Household Organization of the Contemporary
Southern Paiute Indians (1980); and Ronald L. Holt, Beneath These Red
Cliffs: An Ethnohistory of the Utah Paiutes (1992).