With a population
of 500, Panguitch was incorporated in 1899. Agriculture along with cattle
and sheep raising formed the basic economy. A dam was built at Panguitch
Lake to enable it to hold more water for irrigation. The West Panguitch
Irrigation Company controls the water from Panguitch Lake, while Sevier
River water is managed by the Sevier River Water Users Association.
Present ditches and canals follow courses laid out by early surveyors.
is characterized by beautiful, locally made, red brick. Making brick
was a community affair. The two-story brick structures are generally
the oldest; the second generation of red brick homes were one-story
in 1910. The Social Hall, built about 1900 and destroyed by fire before
1920, was rebuilt and was the center of drama, dance, social, scout,
and youth activities, including court games. It is still in use today.