History of Paragonah, Utah
Taken from the Utah Place Names. (Links Added)

PARAGONAH

Paragonah (Iron) is four miles norhteast of Parowan and was first settled on Red Creek in the spring of 1851. The name comes from the Piede Indians, who were a clan of the Paiute Indians. "Paragonah" was their name for nearby salty Little Salt Lake, which means "mashland" or "many springs," with connotations of salty, poisonous, or filthy water. Several variants are listed. Fremont called it Paragoona. Others added an "h."

John W. Van Cott

Google
 
Web onlineutah.com
Comments & Questions to OnlineUtah.com

Home | Area Codes | Cities | Climate | Credits | Counties | Dinosaurs | Disclaimer | Dining |

Education | Entertainment | Government | Health | History | Hot Springs | Industry | Lakes | Lodging |

Maps | Media | Mountains | Museums | Parks | People | Photo Gallery | Quick Facts |

Quizzes | Recreation & Sports | Religion | Rivers | Sites | Travel | Weather |




Mark Robinson Realty Brokers