History of Park City, Utah
Taken from the Utah History Encyclopedia (Links Added)

The Park City Mining District comprises a tract that lies between the steep wall and ledges that mark the crest of the mountain range on the west and the mountain meadows of Heber, Kamas, and Parleys Canyon along the eastern foothills. Some thirty miles southeast of Salt Lake City, Park City is situated on an intermediate belt that sits upon a spur which extends from Dayton Peak, in the main range to the east, and which forms the head of East Canyon, divides the Weber from the Provo river, and is the link between the Wasatch Range and the Uinta uplift. It is located in Summit County.

On 23 December 1869 the Young American lode became the first recorded claim of the district. However, it was the discovery of the rich Ontario mine that initiated efforts to mine lode ores and acted as the catalyst for Park City's rapid growth and reputation as a great silver mining camp. In 1872, shortly after its discovery, the mine was sold for $27,000 to George Hearst of San Francisco, and was run by R.C. Chambers until 1901. It reportedly produced some $50,000,000 of ore. The Pinon, Walker and Webster, Flagstaff, McHenry, Buckeye, and other area mines also shipped small amounts of ore. By 1879 the Ontario mine was flourishing, with houses springing up near the mine and lower down the canyon--the site of Park City.

Page 1
Comments & Questions to

Home | Area Codes | Cities | Climate | Credits | Counties | Dinosaurs | Disclaimer | Dining |

Education | Entertainment | Government | Health | History | Hot Springs | Industry | Lakes | Lodging |

Maps | Media | Mountains | Museums | Parks | People | Photo Gallery | Quick Facts |

Quizzes | Recreation & Sports | Religion | Rivers | Sites | Travel | Weather |