a camp began to form, primarily with wooden structures erected to service
the growing population, a fire destroyed several of its principal buildings
in December 1882. In 1884 Park City incorporated as a city. In August
1885 another fire claimed another building.
operations continued to develop in the late 1880s and early 1890s. In
1885 John J. Daly formed the Daily Mining Company, and later the Daly
West. The Daly-Judge (John Judge) Mining Company was formed in 1901,
and consolidated its holdings in 1902. In 1892 David Keith, W.V. Rice,
Thomas Kearns, A.B. Emery, and John Judge acquired a lease on the Mayflower
claim; while working the interior they found that it extended into Silver
King property. The Silver King Mining Company soon was incorporated
for $3,000,000 and the well-managed property quickly attained high ranking
among bonanza silver and lead mines. Park City boomed, and personalities
such as the Silver Queen (Susanah Bradford Emery Holmes) added to the
city's style and lore.