Panic of 1893 slowed economic growth, but Park City's expansion was
decisively halted by a devastating fire. On 19 June 1898 fire raged
through the Park City commercial district. The blaze was the greatest
in Utah history. Main Street lay in ruins, with only a few gaunt walls
remaining. Losses were estimated at over $1,000,000, and some 200 business
houses and dwellings perished. With community support, however, the
town rebuilt, replacing stone and brick structures with wood buildings,
which were later improved again to brick and stone.
activity flourished in Park City. Utah business directories reveal that
in 1892-93, 112 businesses (including physicians and lawyers, but not
mining companies) were listed; while in 1903-04 approximately 136 concerns
operated in the town. By 1918-19 the number had declined to 87; and
in 1920-21 only 75 such entries were listed. As elsewhere, the Great
Depression of the 1930s halted development.
activity and public life in the city were embodied in City Hall, quickly
rebuilt after the 1898 fire. During the Great Depression of the 1930s,
the WPA erected the War Memorial Building that served the recreational
needs of the community. Social halls, saloons, and theaters all marked
life in Park City. The Odd Fellows, Elks, and Masons contributed to
the town's social life.