While Mormons still predominate, religious diversity is found in Payson. The early settlers were members of the original Payson Ward, organized in 1851. There are now four LDS stakes in the Payson area, with a total of twenty-seven wards within these stakes. The Presbyterian Church established a mission and school in 1877. The school became known as one of the organization's best and largest schools, with pupils attending from both Presbyterian and Mormon homes. The school continued in operation until 1910, but church services were continued long after that. A Methodist church and school was constructed in Payson before the turn of the century, but discontinued operation prior to 1920. The Jehovah's Witnesses organized locally in 1973 and constructed a Kingdom Hall soon after that. More recently, the First Baptist Church of Payson was organized in 1980 and San Andres Catholic Church was established in 1986.