consisting primarily of family dairies and fruit orchards, was the leading
industry in Perry. A creamery was built at the Barnard White farm, and
in 1910 a cannery was established to can local peas, tomatoes, carrots,
and beets. Facilities were also set up to ship the excellent fruit grown
in the region to all parts of the United States. This provided work
to those in the community and surrounding areas.
A nursery was
established on forty acres in the southwest part of Perry, growing and
grafting to make a better variety of fruit trees. In 1909 the number
of trees in the nursery reached a half million, supplying trees for
many orchards in the area.
1958 was 500. At that time increased Perry City growth began, orchards
giving way to housing areas, and dairy farms becoming fewer in number.
The character of the town changed from a rural community to a suburban
community whose residents commuted to Ogden, Brigham City, Thiokol,
and other areas for employment. With this growth, the small three-room
schoolhouse built in about 1910 was enlarged in 1961. Six added classrooms
along with a multipurpose room and kitchen helped make it a modern school.