History of Pleasant Grove, Utah
Taken from the Utah History Encyclopedia (Links Added)

An influx of Scandinavian LDS converts between 1870 and 1890 changed the population from all Anglo-American to one-third Scandinavian. Religious preference remains predominantly LDS. A First Baptist Church chapel, built in 1960, is the only non-Mormon denominational structure. A Fellowship Bible Church meets in an existing public building. Earlier, Presbyterians built a school in 1879 and a rectory in 1890, and the Reorganized LDS Church purchased those buildings in 1900. A change in the city's southern border took place in 1924; Lindon, known as the Southfields, a farming stretch two and one-half miles wide, and extending from Utah Lake to the east mountains in length, became an incorporated city. Pleasant Grove's farming area and population thereupon decreased considerably.

From the beginning, men and women often sought part-time work outside the community to supplement their farm income. With the building in 1942 of Geneva Steel, three miles to the southwest, farmers and their families saw an opportunity for higher wages with fewer work hours invested, and many were enticed into giving up small-acreage farming. Farming as an area occupation began to diminish.

Page 4
Comments & Questions to

Home | Area Codes | Cities | Climate | Credits | Counties | Dinosaurs | Disclaimer | Dining |

Education | Entertainment | Government | Health | History | Hot Springs | Industry | Lakes | Lodging |

Maps | Media | Mountains | Museums | Parks | People | Photo Gallery | Quick Facts |

Quizzes | Recreation & Sports | Religion | Rivers | Sites | Travel | Weather |