Douglas fir logs
were cut and dragged from Spring Creek Canyon to build cabins. The houses
faced one another across a narrow road, which could be closed with wagons
at each end to make a fort. On 25 April 1859 Peter Maughan visited Spring
Creek to establish a religious organization. He chose Samuel Campbell
as presiding elder. The first indoor meetings were held in a log meeting-and-schoolhouse
erected by John Maddison and William Fife. By August there were sixteen
families living at the fort; the following month, a child (Hannah Priscilla
Thompson) was born at Spring Creek.
On 14 November
1859 LDS apostles Orson Hyde and Ezra Benson organized the Providence
Ward. Elder Hyde chose the name: "Spring Creek settlement being situated
in an elbow of the mountains and appearing to us somewhat of a providential
place, we named Providence." Robert Williams was ordained as bishop.
Two years later, when a U.S. post office was established in Providence,
Williams was also named postmaster.