the turn of the century, additional coal mines were developed at Kenilworth, Hiawatha, Mohrland, and in Spring Canyon. Later railroad lines built
to serve the region's coal mines included the Kenilworth and Helper Railway, the Southern Utah Railroad, the Utah Railway, and the National
Coal Railway, which completed its line in 1925 to serve the newly developed
coal mines located in Gordon Creek Canyon. The Carbon County Railway
was completed in 1923 to furnish coal to the new steel mill at Ironton,
near Springville in Utah Valley. This line was a subsidiary of United
States Steel Corporation and was closed in 1984 along with other U.S.
Steel properties in the state. The Utah Railway remains in service today,
moving huge amounts of coal from Carbon County mines to the Intermountain
Power Project near Lynndyl.
1915, in part because of the availability of low-cost transportation,
coal had become a major contributor to the economic growth of the state
of Utah, and remained such until the late 1940s.
Tintic Mining District near Eureka was developed in the early 1870s,
just after the coming of the transcontinental railroad. The silver,
lead, and gold ore was of such high value that the first mines were
successful even with the high cost of wagon transportation. The first
railroad that arrived in the district, the Union Pacific-controlled
Salt Lake and Western Railroad, was actually headed toward California
in competition with the Central Pacific. Construction stopped in 1882
at Mammoth Mills in the Tintic Valley south of Eureka. Within a year
the company completed a branch into Silver City, and in 1889 a branch
was completed to serve Eureka. The line immediately began transporting
ores out of the district. With the availability of low-cost rail transportation,
many of the marginal mines became successful operations.