Emigration Canyon Railroad was built in 1907 to move sandstone from
quarries located in Emigration Canyon down to Salt Lake City for use
as building stone. Unfortunately, the company's timing coincided with
the availability of cement within the state. Since concrete is a much
better building material, the market for building stone (the railroad's
traffic base) virtually disappeared within a three-year period between
1909 and 1912.
lines were built in Salt Lake City, Provo, Ogden, and Logan. The line
in Provo consisted of only a single line and was abandoned after being
in operation for only six years--from 1913 to 1919. There were six lines
in Ogden, with a total length of about twenty-four miles. In Logan there
were three lines, totaling just over eight miles, with the longest being
from the Oregon Short Line depot to the Utah State Agricultural College.
the 1915 merger of the Ogden and Logan lines, the new Ogden, Logan and
Idaho Company continued streetcar service until the respective cities
began paving their streets. At that time many of its lines were removed
because the company couldn't pay its share of the paving costs. The
Ogden lines were sold to a separate company in 1920, and by the mid-1930s
the streetcars in Ogden had been replaced by buses.
streetcar lines in Salt Lake City were by far the most extensive in
the state, beginning with those of the Salt Lake City Railroad in 1872
and the Salt Lake Rapid Transit Company in 1890. These two companies
built a large network of streetcar lines throughout the city and outlying
area. Other companies also were organized in the 1890s and built lines
into other parts of the city. All of the lines were merged in 1901 as
the Utah Light and Railway Company and again in 1914 as the Utah Light
and Traction Company.