Randolph (Rich) ten miles north of Woodruff, is a ranching community in the Bear River Valley . The pioneers arrived at the site March 14, 1870. Randolph H. Stewart initially settled the community and was the presiding Mormon elder and the first Bishop of a white settlement in Rich County. The first meeting house in Randolph was a log building which was used for a school and all public meetings. Very cold temperatures during the winter, (often the coldest in the state), along with indian troubles, placed an extra burden on the settlers. Preserved in Randolph is the log home of 4th President of the LDS Church, Wilford Woodruff.
G. William Wiersdorf
See: John W. Van Cott, Utah Place Names 1997; Daughters of Utah Pioneers, Grand County Pioneer Families, Bette Wimmer 1986; Personal information from Kaydell J. Stewart.