Rockport (Summit) is today under the waters of the *Rockport Lake State Recreation area, two miles south of Wanship. It was originally known as Three Mile Creek for the creek where the people settled. The name was subsequently changed to Crandall after a nearby canyon. In 1861 the name was again changed to
Enoch City, a biblical name. In 1866
and 1867 a rock fort was built to protect settlers fro Indians, so the town was renamed Rockport in remembrance of the fort. In 1950 the government purchased the land and relocated the residents.
John W. Van Cott