A well was dug fifty feet deep by installing open barrels in the ground as it was dug to keep the loose sand from caving in. The meager water available was colored and brackish. The settlers trudged each day to Muskrat Springs in Hooper for acceptable water to satisfy their personal needs and to provide for the animals they owned. This procedure continued until 1882 when the settlers realized that if this place were to grow, they needed to find better water sources. An idea was born. Walking up to sixteen miles up Weber Canyon, the settlers--men, women, and children--dug a canal by hand to bring water from the nearby mountains. The canal was lined with rocks that the women and children amassed as the route was cleared.
The canal was surveyed and leveled by simple but effective means, and, when it was finished, the water scuttled through the rows the settlers had made. Prospects for the town were at once improved.
Church services were at first held in Hooper. When the first one-room school was built, the LDS Church for a time became a Sunday tenant. To build a chapel seemed an impossibility, but land was donated along with 80 percent of the labor, and half of the cost was met by the church hierarchy in Salt Lake City. Still, it took thirty-five years to pay off a $3,000 mortgage for the dedication to take place.