History of Rush Valley, Utah
Taken from the Utah Place Names. (Links Added)

RUSH VALLEY CITY

Rush Valley City (Tooele) is the new name for the recent merging of Clover and Saint John.

Clover is a small agricultural community on the east side of Johnsons Pass on Clover Creek and U-125. The settlement was originally named Johnsons Settlement for Luke S. Johnson, an early settler. The name was then changed to Shambip, a Goshute Indian word for rush or bulrush plants. Shambip was then called Johnson up until 1856 when G. S. Craig renamed the town Clover after a nearby flat covered with native clover. At this time, John Bennion built a small cabin and wintered a few cattle in the area.

St. John is eight miles southwest of Stockton. The area was settled in 1867 by a group from Clover who named the selltement in honor of John Rowberry, the presiding Mormon elder.

John W. Van Cott

Google
 
Web onlineutah.com
Comments & Questions to OnlineUtah.com

Home | Area Codes | Cities | Climate | Credits | Counties | Dinosaurs | Disclaimer | Dining |

Education | Entertainment | Government | Health | History | Hot Springs | Industry | Lakes | Lodging |

Maps | Media | Mountains | Museums | Parks | People | Photo Gallery | Quick Facts |

Quizzes | Recreation & Sports | Religion | Rivers | Sites | Travel | Weather |




Mark Robinson Realty Brokers