OnlineUtah.com Logo
History of Salina, Utah
Taken from the Utah History Encyclopedia (Links Added)
-4-

During the Great Depression a Civilian Conservation Corps camp was set up, and the men improved dams, roads, and recreation sites still popular today. Federal agency projects helped build a new city hall with a library and install an improved potable water system and city-wide sewer system. In the early 1940s farseeing citizens organized the Salina Livestock Auction and the Salina Turkey Plant. Both businesses thrive today. The Convulsion Canyon mine expanded operations and became SUFCO.

A second Latter-day Saint ward was established in 1912 and its chapel built at the junction of State and Main streets. An LDS seminary was organized in 1921; the first seminary building was completed in 1953. In 1978 the Salina Stake Center was completed and dedicated by apostle Ezra Taft Benson. In 1981 the city was divided into four LDS wards. The community also welcomed members and churches of other faiths. In 1882 a Presbyterian chapel was established and continued until 1947. In 1982 the Faith Baptist Church, independent and local, was established. A related private school was organized in 1984, and in 1991, a church building was constructed.


Page 4
Google
 
Web onlineutah.com
Comments & Questions to OnlineUtah.com

Home | Area Codes | Cities | Climate | Credits | Counties | Dinosaurs | Disclaimer | Dining |

Education | Entertainment | Government | Health | History | Hot Springs | Industry | Lakes | Lodging |

Maps | Media | Mountains | Museums | Parks | People | Photo Gallery | Quick Facts |

Quizzes | Recreation & Sports | Religion | Rivers | Sites | Travel | Weather |




Mark Robinson Realty Brokers