Around this time
a fort was built according to plans furnished by architect Truman O.
Angell. After its completion, the settlers moved back to the town in
the spring of 1856. One night soon after resettlement Chief Guffich
came secretly to warn Johnson of an impending raid by young braves,
including his son Santaquin. The settlers quickly left, and when the
raiders found the fort deserted Chief Guffich explained to them that
the white men were good people and that the Great Spirit had warned
them of the attack. It was claimed that from that day peace was made
between the local Indians and the Mormon pioneers. It was decided to
name the town after Guffich, but he declined the honor and asked that
the settlement be named "Santaquin" for his son.
A rock schoolhouse
was built in the fort in 1856. It was stoutly built and served the public
for many years, still being used into the 1980s. It was not until 1896
that the first local church building was constructed, religious meetings
having been conducted in the school building, which now serves as a
senior citizens' center and a veterans' memorial hall.