History of Sego, Utah (*)
Taken from the Utah Place Names. (Links Added)

SEGO

Sego (Grand) was a small coal mining community established in 1910 up Sego Canyon north of Thompson Springs. Sego was first known as Ballard for Harry Ballard, who discovered hard anthracite coal in the area. After Ballard sold the mine, the community became Neslin for Richard Neslin, the general manager of the American Fuel Company that purchased the property. Neslin was fired in 1915 and the name was changed to the Utah state flower, the sego lily, which was plentiful on the slopes around the community. By 1955, the railroad was using diesel engines, replacing the steam engines, thus decreasing the need for coal. The town was then closed down and the houses were moved to Moab to be sold.

John W. Van Cott

Google
 
Web onlineutah.com
Comments & Questions to OnlineUtah.com

Home | Area Codes | Cities | Climate | Credits | Counties | Dinosaurs | Disclaimer | Dining |

Education | Entertainment | Government | Health | History | Hot Springs | Industry | Lakes | Lodging |

Maps | Media | Mountains | Museums | Parks | People | Photo Gallery | Quick Facts |

Quizzes | Recreation & Sports | Religion | Rivers | Sites | Travel | Weather |




Mark Robinson Realty Brokers