In 1881 the Presbyterian Church established a day school in Smithfield; the teacher was Nellie F. Bartlett. In 1882 the Smithfield Presbyterian Church was built; it was called the Garfield Memorial Chapel. The school and church closed in 1909. The Methodist Episcopal Church established a mission in Smithfield in 1888.
The first public building, a combination school, church, and amusement center, was completed in 1863. Thirty-six pupils were enrolled in the school. Prior to that time, teaching took place in private homes. Smithfield now has two elementary schools and Sky View High School, which serves students who live in the north end of Cache Valley.
In 1866 the telegraph line was extended from Logan to Smithfield. By 1873 the Utah Northern Railroad had been extended to Smithfield--which was a great boon to the community, bringing better mail service among its other benefits. By 1922 a volunteer fire department was organized and civic improvements made.