History of South Salt Lake, Utah
Taken from the Utah History Encyclopedia. (Links Added)
-3-

Near the turn of the century, the development of infrastructure began to take place. The major dirt roads in the area were covered with slag from nearby smelters and the construction of public buildings such as schools and churches began. Two of these structures remain as historical landmarks. The Scott School was built in 1890 on the northeast corner of 3300 South and 500 East. With various additions made over the years, the schoolhouse evolved to be part of Granite High School and currently functions as the Pioneer Craft House, which continues to play an educational and cultural role in the community.

In 1899 the Catholic Church built the Saint Ann's Orphanage and church on the south side of 2100 South between 400 and 500 East. The orphanage was changed into an elementary school in 1955 and currently provides a curriculum for kindergarten through the eighth grades.

The Granite Tabernacle was built by the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints in 1903 on the northeast corner of 3300 South and State Street. This tabernacle was part of a network of large meeting halls that served the various communities in which they were built. The Granite Tabernacle was considered one of the finest, with a tower rising 133 feet and a dome arching seventy feet over the assembly floor that seated 2,500 people. This landmark building was demolished in 1956.


Page 3
Google
 
Web onlineutah.com
Comments & Questions to OnlineUtah.com

Home | Area Codes | Cities | Climate | Credits | Counties | Dinosaurs | Disclaimer | Dining |

Education | Entertainment | Government | Health | History | Hot Springs | Industry | Lakes | Lodging |

Maps | Media | Mountains | Museums | Parks | People | Photo Gallery | Quick Facts |

Quizzes | Recreation & Sports | Religion | Rivers | Sites | Travel | Weather |




Mark Robinson Realty Brokers