and growing grain and alfalfa were the chief means of livelihood for
early residents of South Jordan. During the greater part of the twentieth
century, the major crop in South Jordan was sugar beets. Today, the
remaining agriculture consists of small plots of land where grain and
hay are grown to feed horses and a few cattle.
A landmark day
occurred on 14 January 1914 when South Jordan residents participated
in a celebration commemorating the installation of a water system, the
bringing of electricity into town, and the completion of the interurban
railroad, which connected the rural farming village with larger cities
to the north and south. The occasion seemed to signal a major shift
from the days of horse and buggy toward the modern age.
On 8 November
1935 South Jordan became an incorporated city with a town board and
board president. South Jordan City later changed to a part-time mayor
with a five-member city council and a full-time city administrator.
worst school-bus accident up to that time occurred in South Jordan on
2 December 1938 when a train smashed into a school bus carrying thirty-nine
people. The bus driver and twenty-three students died. Six of the fatally
injured students were from South Jordan; the others were from Riverton, Crescent, and Bluffdale.