History of Spry, Utah
Taken from the Utah Place Names (Links Added)

SPRY

Spry (Garfield) is eight miles north of Panguitch. The settlement was established in 1872 and had several early name changes as clusters of families were absorbed into the settlement. Fort Sanford was named for Silas Sanford Smith, who was in command of the fort; Lowder Spring for John Lowder; Tebbs Springs (later Tebbsdale) for Daniel F. Tebbs; Orton, after William F. Orton, was used for a short time; Bear Creek was derived from the nearby creek; and Cleveland was used for a while in honor of President Grover Cleveland. When Jesse LeFevre became postmaster in 1908, he renamed the established community of Spry in honor of Utah Governor William Spry.

John W. Van Cott

Google
 
Web onlineutah.com
Comments & Questions to OnlineUtah.com

Home | Area Codes | Cities | Climate | Credits | Counties | Dinosaurs | Disclaimer | Dining |

Education | Entertainment | Government | Health | History | Hot Springs | Industry | Lakes | Lodging |

Maps | Media | Mountains | Museums | Parks | People | Photo Gallery | Quick Facts |

Quizzes | Recreation & Sports | Religion | Rivers | Sites | Travel | Weather |




Mark Robinson Realty Brokers